Savion, a Green Investment Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 11 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14 paid holidays per year.
Job Purpose Statement
A key role within the Savion – Engineering, Procurement and Construction team focusing on the contracting and execution of large-scale renewables projects, predominately solar and BESS.
Savion seeks a highly motivated Senior Project Engineer with passion for renewable energy to join the EPC division of the Savion team. The Senior Project Engineer will report to the Senior Director – Engineering whilst also working closely with multiple parts of the overall EPC division and indeed wider Savion business.
The position will have primary focus on the preparation, review and active management and interrogation of all technical dimensions of projects. The individual will operate extensively across the EPC division of the Savion team whilst also providing critical liaison and support the wider business and externally as required. Kansas City area candidate is preferred.
- Manage and direct third-party consultants in preparation of concept designs for utility scale solar projects and IFB drawing sets
- Evaluate constraints and design requirements to optimize solar production
- Identify risk issues and order of magnitude costs
- Lead selection of inverter, racking, and energy storage PCS technologies
- Manage contractors that perform Geotech and Hydrology field studies
- Support process of EPC and subcontractor pricing to obtain internal pricing estimates
- Review engineering studies and determine impact to project estimates
- Review HV gentie and substation engineering drawings and layouts to determine best level of optimization
- Prepare and evaluate large power transformer specifications and bids
- Lead efforts to answer technical questions and RFI’s during EPC bid process
- Support EPC bid evaluations
- Lead design review meetings with EPC contractors and third-party consultants
- Support EPC Project Manager during construction phase
- Communicate with project developers and engineers
- Participate in industry workshops to keep up with latest engineering standards
- Adaptable to meet varying proposal and project deadlines.
- Identify critical project technical risk and magnitude – proposing mitigatory actions and options
- Support and provide critical input and review of contract bidding and awards
- Prepare technical documentation and specifications for project bids
- Communicate and coordinate across broad spectrum of internal project team – ensure consistency and currency of information
- Liaise with project development teams to drive and coordinate earlier engineering design and permitting efforts
- Participate in industry workshops and events to ensure awareness of latest engineering standards and potential innovators
- Provide support and input to Contract tender / bidding efforts and assessments
- Liaise and coordinate with internal team members, external suppliers, and contractors to endure delivery specifications are met
- Support and assist with interface management between internal and external parties including consultants and contractors
- Review and monitor contractors progress against schedule and ensure key project milestones are being achieved and reported
- Support and direct efforts to resolve a range of technical / specialist issues both during bid and execution phases.
- Actively identify and manage critical path issues and risks to obviate and minimize project impacts at all stages of project maturity
- Other duties as defined
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- +10 years professional experience in electrical engineering for solar and/or energy storage projects.
- Bachelor’s Degree in electrical engineering
- Knowledgeable on solar technologies including latest developments for inverters
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Project or Primavera P6.
- Knowledge of ETAP or similar power analysis software
- Knowledge of Cymcap a plus
- Familiarity with photovoltaic solar and energy storage components and technical standards.
- Ability to prepare conceptual solar layouts
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint as well as Adobe Acrobat.
- Superior communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including an ability to maintain calm and effective exchanges by all parties during stressful situations.
- Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by clear and effective project plans and executive level reporting that ensure timely action and decision making in time-pressured scenarios.
- Have knowledge of latest technology for utility scale solar and energy storage projects
- Knowledgeable of transmission and substation designs as applicable to solar and energy storage projects
- Ability to work in a team environment
Planning and Organization
- Support and direct the resolution of a range of technical/specialist issues on projects
- Successfully manage the expectations of the Senior Director – Engineering with regards to project delivery
- Advise the Senior Director – Engineering on the impact of technical/specialist risks and issues and the viability of solutions recommended
- Ensure that all recommendations are documented, and sufficient due diligence exists to support decisions (whether internal or external diligence)
- Defend and stand by recommendations but also recognize when alternative solutions may be preferable
- Present decisions and recommendations to the Senior Director – Engineering in a structured and robust manner
- At short notice, act upon and deliver ad-hoc efforts and projects without losing focus on major ongoing projects
- The job holder will need to remain focused on the key deliverables for each project whilst being adaptable to work within a flexible matrix operation, this may require working on several projects simultaneously
Minimum Criterion (Mandatory)
- Degree qualification in relevant Engineering discipline
- Relevant Engineering / Construction experience
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS office systems and other IT based project management software
- Kansas City area candidate is preferred.