Savion, a Shell Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 23 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14 paid holidays per year.
Savion has multiple opportunities for suitable candidate(s) to contribute to a team of creative and dedicated engineers/analysts within the Commercial Strategy & Renewable Origination group.
Savion is seeking an energetic and highly motivated individual(s) with passion for the renewable energy sector to join the Savion team. The Senior Market & Optimization Analyst will have primary focus on assisting in identifying opportunistic locations of high value to the siting and development team for early project siting decisions by analyzing and translating the transmission suitability, congestion, and basis outlook in regional power markets in addition to advising the financial analysis and market risks related to the pipeline of projects to the Finance team. This team member will also contribute to the development of new products, hedge strategies to the project portfolio and provide analytical support for the optimization of battery storage dispatch strategies in wholesale markets, while analyzing energy market trends and outlooks. These positions will be a key collaborative part of the commercial team and will report directly to the Sr. Director of Market Fundamentals and Analysis. Work locations are available in Kansas City, MO and remote. Equipment necessary to work from home is provided.
- Develop power market forecasts/basis models and perform market simulations in support of development siting, origination strategy and M&A activities.
- Leverage expertise in market structures based on specific region (East/West/Central) and apply concepts/analytics to support the development of new product solutions.
- Engage with third-party consultants to review transmission congestion analysis and basis outlook in regional power market(s) and basis outlook for our projects.
- Review and incorporate relevant market policies, rules and other qualitative factors into asset optimization models.
- Perform sensitivity analysis on key market drivers and forecasts including demand expectations, gas prices, retirements, additions, outages and other trends impacting the energy space at a macro level.
- Prepare market assessments/analytics/reviews to departmental management and engage with internal/external business partners to determine trends and factors impacting the energy market and our projects in the development of a forward market view.
- Perform ad hoc analysis of wholesale electricity markets and asset dispatch and optimization as requested.
- Collaborate with other members of the team to optimize state of the art modeling tools and develop and automate forecasting models to improve efficiencies and effectiveness.
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, economics, mathematics, statistics, or similar field
- A great attitude for learning new skills and an inquisitive mindset for continuous learning and improvement
- Excellent critical thinking skills with the ability to multitask and problem solve in a fast-paced environment
- Support and direct the resolution of a range of technical issues on projects
- Advise the business on the impact of technical risks/issues and the viability of solutions recommended
- Minimum 2 years of experience in power markets analysis and economic modeling experience
- Creative and motivated self-starter with strong organizational and time-management skills
- Experience with mathematical optimization techniques and mathematical programming
- Must have excellent communication skills and work effectively in a team-based environment
- Strong collaborative mindset and ability to work in a team environment
- Knowledge and understanding of production cost modeling and linear programming
- Familiarity with Dayzer, PSSE, Aurora, PROMOD, or other production cost modeling software
- Knowledge of econometric/regression techniques
- Programming experience in R or Python and SQL
Compensation and Benefits
- Title and compensation commensurate with experience
- Vacation & Holidays: Paid Time Off plus 14 paid company holidays
- Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision insurance; short-term and long-term disability; life insurance; 401(k)
- Savion offers a culture that embraces a “flex-time” schedule to maximize both productivity and work-life balance