Savion, a Shell Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 19 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14 paid holidays per year.
A key role within the Savion business focusing on the management of a large-scale commercial renewables portfolio, consisting of predominately solar, wind, and BESS assets.
Savion seeks an energetic and highly motivated individual with passion for renewable energy to join the Savion team. The Operating Portfolio Owner will report to the Chief Investment Officer or Chief Operating Officer and liaise closely with Shell Renewable Asset Management International (SRAMI) whilst also working closely with the wider Savion and Shell teams.
The position will have primary focus on the Operating Portfolio ensuring key focusses on the commercial and operational tax equity, joint venture formations and activity, monitoring, and optimization of our emerging operational portfolio, reviewing all technical dimensions of projects. This position will serve as the Project Board Member and/or fill Officer positions on asset joint venture entities.
- Consult and collaborate with SRAMI to ensure the safe and efficient delivery of the asset portfolio P&L
- Maximize the P&L of the portfolio.
- Serve as Project Board Member and/or fill Officer positions on asset joint venture entities. Work with joint venture partners to optimize the needs and health of the assets.
- Ensure compliance with Tax Equity partnership changes, flips, sellbacks, etc..
- Leverage processes, metrics and technology to streamline operations and to provide the best possible outcome for both internal and external customers
- Highlight and escalate commercial issues and help provide evidence for commercial claims to protect the project company’s position.
- Evaluate constraints and design parameters to optimize portfolio production and revenue.
- Identify risk issues and order of magnitude costs
- Review engineering studies and determine impact to operating portfolio.
- Liaise with EPC Project Manager during construction phase
- Knowledgeable of transmission and substation designs as applicable to solar and energy storage projects
- Adaptable to meet varying proposal and project deadlines.
- Identify critical project technical risk and magnitude – proposing mitigatory actions and options
- Support and provide critical input and review of contract bidding and awards
- Prepare technical documentation and specifications for O&M and asset management contract bids
- Communicate and coordinate across broad spectrum of internal project teams – ensure consistency and currency of information
- Liaise with project development teams to drive and coordinate earlier engineering design optimization
- Participate in industry workshops and events to ensure awareness of latest engineering standards and potential innovators
- Support and assist with interface management between internal and external parties including consultants and contractors
- Other duties as defined
- +10 years professional experience in commercial scale solar/ battery storage / renewables energy industry
- Excellent management skills, including outstanding judgement, informed and thoughtful decision making, strong interpersonal skills and attention to detail.
- Experience developing processes, procedures and systems that encourage and facilitate teamwork, collaboration, and accountability.
- Excellent critical thinking skills with the ability to multitask and problem solve in a fast-paced environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Finance/Accounting or other business-related discipline
- +10 years experience setting up and managing tax equity structures in the US
- +10 years experience with solar asset mergers and acquisitions / partnerships
- +10 years experience with financial management and optimization of renewables assets
- +10 years experience serving as a board member of officer in joint venture companies
- Extensive knowledge around solar, battery and renewables technologies
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Suite.
- Superior communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including an ability to maintain calm and effective exchanges by all parties during stressful situations.
- Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by clear and effective project plans and executive level reporting that ensure timely action and decision making in time-pressured scenarios.
- Strong collaborative mindset / ability to work in a team environment
Planning and Organization
- Support and direct the resolution of a range of technical/specialist issues on projects
- Successfully manage the expectations of the business with regards to project operational performance.
- Advise the business on the impact of technical/specialist risks and issues and the viability of solutions recommended
- Ensure that all recommendations are documented, and sufficient due diligence exists to support decisions (whether internal or external diligence)
- Defend and stand by recommendations but also recognize when alternative solutions may be preferable
- Present decisions and recommendations to the business in a structured and robust manner
- At short notice, act upon and deliver ad-hoc efforts and projects/portfolio initiatives without losing focus on day-to-day activities
- Degree qualification in relevant discipline
- Relevant business and technical experience
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS office systems and other IT based project management software
Compensation and Benefits
- Base, bonus and compensation commensurate with experience
- Vacation & Holidays: Paid Time Off plus standard company holidays
- Benefits: Health & dental insurance as well as long-term disability and life insurance, 401(k)
- Savion offers a culture that embraces a flex-time schedule so as to maximize both productivity and work-life balance