Savion, a Shell Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 36.5 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14.5 paid holidays per year.
Savion is seeking an experienced, creative, self-starting and highly motivated individual to fill a Manager of Transmission position alongside our team of generation interconnection experts. This full-time position is open to qualified individuals who desire to either work remotely or join Savion’s dynamic development team in our Kansas City office. The Manager of Transmission is heavily involved in Savion’s development strategy related to its portfolio of existing and proposed utility-scale solar and energy storage projects. The Manager of Transmission will interact daily with Savion’s project development team that consists of subject matter experts in real estate, environmental & permitting, engineering, origination, finance, GIS, procurement, etc. The ideal candidate will provide ongoing technical engineering support for various generation interconnection (GI) studies, coordinate with outside consultants to manage the GI study process associated with various utilities and ISOs, review and critique interconnection study results, and may perform special technical studies as needed to support the GI study process. The Manager of Transmission will also ensure compliance with relevant tariffs and represent Savion’s interests at various Utilities/ISOs/RTOs to shape renewable energy policy.
- Manage assigned interconnection and engineering activities for various utility-scale solar and energy storage projects from site selection to planning, development and construction.
- Perform in-house technical studies of the transmission grid utilizing engineering software such as PSS/E, PSS-MUST, TARA, PSLF, etc.
- Manage daily GI study activities in accordance with the timing and technical data requirements of host Transmission Providers (“TPs”) and affected systems. Coordinate with in-house staff and outside contractors to assemble and develop all necessary technical materials and modeling data required throughout the GI study life cycle.
- Attend GI study related calls and meetings with TPs and Transmission Owners, including scoping calls, study review meetings and construction calls.
- Review GI study results (e.g., power-flow, short-circuit, voltage stability, transient analysis, etc.) and provide timely and relevant feedback to TPs and Savion’s project management staff.
- Negotiate various GI agreements, submit comments to TPs in a timely manner and facilitate contract execution.
- Provide creative and knowledgeable input to assist in the growth of Savion’s resource development pipeline; including project site identification, project size optimization, fatal flaw analysis, interconnection queue management, tariff assessment and risk mitigation strategies.
- Support budget forecasting and provide guidance to minimize financial risk throughout the GI study process.
- Suggest creative bidding strategies that utilize knowledge of the transmission system and thoughtful assessment of study results and hedging options.
- Maintain accurate GI data in Savion’s proprietary milestone tracking database.
- Populate data to, and maintain structure of, Savion’s restricted electronic folder environment for GI-specific data and Critical Energy Infrastructure Information (“CEII”).
- Develop processes to effectively manage all interconnection planning activities.
- Provide regular reports to management and project teams regarding project milestones and critical path decisions.
- Coordinate with internal teams and outside consultants to reach consensus on interconnection strategy and estimated project costs.
- Participate in various public forums and represent the interests of Savion at industry related meetings, conferences and/or legislative events.
- Develop strong relationships with outside stakeholders such as ISO/RTO representatives.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering required, preferably with an emphasis in power systems.
- Master of Science Degree in Power Systems and/or a Master of Business Administration Degree highly preferred.
- Working knowledge of power systems modeling software (e.g., PSS/E, TARA, PSLF, etc.).
- 5 years of Transmission Planning and/or GI modeling experience with emphasis on renewable power system analysis. GI study experience at a utility or RTO is strongly preferred.
- Familiar with various standards, including NERC TPL, especially as applied to inverter-based resources.
- Demonstrated competence in RTO working groups, contract negotiations, or other related business experience is also valued.
- Must have good analytical, decision-making, communication, creative problem-solving, and human relations skills.
- Must be organized, self-motivated and capable of working both independently and in group settings.
Compensation & Benefits
- Title and compensation commensurate with experience
- Vacation & Holidays: Paid Time Off plus 14 paid company holidays
- Benefits: Medical/Dental/Vision insurance; short-term and long-term disability; life insurance; 401(k)
- Savion offers a culture that embraces a “flex-time” schedule to maximize both productivity and work-life balance