Savion, a Green Investment Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 11 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14 paid holidays per year.
Savion LLC is seeking a creative and highly motivated individual for the position of Interconnection Planning Engineer. This full-time position will join Savion’s dynamic development team.
Summary of Functions
The Interconnection Planning Engineer (IPE) is heavily involved in Savion’s development strategy for its portfolio of existing and proposed utility-scale solar and energy storage projects. The IPE will coordinate and provide ongoing technical engineering support for various generation interconnection (GI) studies, will coordinate with project teams and outside consultants to manage the GI study process associated with various utilities and ISOs, review and critique interconnection study results, and may perform special technical studies as needed to support the GI study process. Additionally, the IPE will ensure compliance with relevant tariffs and represent Savion’s interests in an effort to shape renewable policy development in various ISOs.
- Manage assigned interconnection and engineering activities for various utility-scale solar and energy storage projects from site selection to planning and development.
- Perform in-house technical studies of the transmission grid utilizing engineering software such as PSS/E, PSS-MUST, PSLF, ASPEN, etc.
- Manage daily interconnection study activities for projects under development, as is required to meet tariff timelines, including the collection and distribution of T&D technical information required by various Transmission Providers (TPs).
- Coordinate the development of necessary modeling data with subcontractors for generation interconnection technical studies for submission to TPs.
- Review interconnection study results, technical reports, and participate in results meetings.
- Review and negotiate various generation interconnection agreements, submit comments to TPs in a timely manner and facilitate contract execution.
- Initiate, manage, and review third party studies to assess curtailment, congestion, stability and other transmission-related project risks.
- Provide analysis to inform Savion’s interconnection and transmission related strategy for solar and energy storage projects; including project size optimization, fatal flaw analysis, interconnection queue management, and risk mitigation strategies.
- Assist in the maintenance of GI study tracking and budget forecasting.
- Suggest creative bidding strategies that utilize knowledge of the transmission system and thoughtful assessment of study results and hedging options.
- Develop systems to effectively manage all interconnection planning activities, and provide regular reports to management and project teams on project milestones and critical path decisions.
- Review power-flow, short-circuit, voltage stability and transient analysis results of various interconnection studies and submit relevant comments to TPs and/or Savion’s management staff.
- Participate in project scoping meetings, reviews of study results and negotiations of various interconnection agreements.
- Coordinate the process between internal teams and outside consultants to reach consensus on interconnection strategy and estimated project costs. IPE will issue relevant engineering documents to TPs to communicate conceptual design of interconnection facilities and initiate detailed design for various projects with subcontractors.
- Participate in various public workshops and represent the interests of Savion at industry related meetings, conferences and/or legislative forums.
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering required, preferably with an emphasis in power systems.
- Master of Business Administration Degree highly preferred, or demonstrated competence in RTO working groups, contract negotiations, or other related business experience.
- 3-5 years’ experience in renewable power system analysis or related fields with knowledge of power systems modeling software is preferred. GI model development experience at a RTO or utility is strongly preferred. Exemplary performance in college studies, with a focus on power system analysis, may be acceptable.
- Familiar with various standards, including NERC TPL, applicable to inverter based resources
- Must have good analytical, decision-making, communication, creative problem-solving, and human relations skills.
- Must be organized, self-motivated and capable of working both independently and in group settings.