Savion, a Shell Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 19 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14 paid holidays per year.
A key role within the Engineering team focusing on project cost estimating of large-scale utility solar and BESS renewables projects.
Savion seeks an energetic and highly motivated individual with passion for renewable energy to join the team. The Estimator will report to the Senior Director – Engineering, while also working closely with the broader EPC department and wider Savion business.
The position will have primary focus on development and maintenance of cost estimating tools and source data for various stages of development of solar and energy storage projects. This role is key to Savion’s success in the industry by assuring we have timely and accurate referencing for the pricing and commercialization of our project portfolio. The individual will operate extensively across the entire business with particular focus on the coordination within the EPC division.
- Lead the development and adaptation of cost estimating tools
- Develop and expand cost estimating data source and accuracy
- Prepare indicative estimates for utility scale solar and energy storage projects
- Assist in developing strategies for optimizing and reducing cost for solar and energy storage projects.
- Analyze commodity and market trends to forecast pricing of various equipment such as modules, trackers, inverters, foundations, AC/DC wiring, and other pertinent equipment.
- Identify risk issues and order of magnitude associated with nonstandard design requirements.
- Solicit equipment supplier and subcontractor pricing to support internal pricing estimates
- Conduct field visits as appropriate to determine cost impacts to projects
- Review engineering studies and determine impact to project estimates
- Review engineering drawings and layouts to obtain metrics that would apply to project pricing.
- Communicate with project developers and engineers cost implications of permit and design basis requirements.
- Participate in industry workshops to keep up with latest methods to apply estimating
- Collaborate with internal procurement, financing, and commercial teams to inform EPC pricing assumptions.
Planning & Organization
- Support and direct the resolution of a range of pricing estimates and strategies issues on projects
- Successfully manage the expectations of the business with regards to project cost performance.
- Advise the business on the impact of pricing and scheduling risks and issues and the viability of solutions recommended
- Maintain internal costing tool and keep up to date with industry changes
- At short notice, act upon and deliver ad-hoc efforts and projects/portfolio initiatives without losing focus on day-to-day activities
Skills & Knowledge
- +5 years professional experience in estimating role.
- Bachelors Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Administration, or equivalent related work experience.
- Knowledge of solar and battery storage technologies.
- Strong computer skills and ability to perform takeoffs via Bluebeam, AutoCAD or other relevant software.
- Knowledge of varying labor markets, for both union and non-union environments
- Knowledge of multiple engineering disciplines and how they impact solar and energy storage projects.
- Adaptable to meet varying proposal and project deadlines.
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, CPM scheduling, and Microsoft Project or Primavera P6.
- Familiarity with photovoltaic solar and energy storage components and technical standards.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and PowerPoint as well as Adobe Acrobat.
- Superior communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal.
- Outstanding interpersonal skills, including an ability to maintain calm and effective exchanges by all parties during stressful situations.
- Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by clear and effective project plans and executive level reporting that ensure timely action and decision making in time-pressured scenarios.
- Have knowledge of existing marketplace for utility scale solar and energy storage projects
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Degree qualification in engineering, construction management, or relevant discipline
- Relevant cost estimating experience
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS office systems and other IT based project management software