Savion, a Shell Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 23 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14.5 paid holidays per year.
Savion has multiple opportunities for suitable candidate(s) to contribute to a team of creative and dedicated engineers/analysts within the Commercial Strategy & Renewable Origination group. These roles will be responsible for activities and deliverables in two key areas. First, the optimization and maintenance of long-term, fundamental-based forecasts for energy/basis/capacity/ancillary service products, and second, provide transmission congestion analysis and basis outlook in regional power markets. Candidates are expected to participate in the full cycle of Savion’s projects, assisting in identifying opportunistic locations of high value to the development team for early siting decisions, provide financial analysis such as forward curves to the Finance team. Team members will contribute to the development of new products and support the optimization of battery storage dispatch strategies in wholesale markets, while analyzing energy market trends and outlooks. These positions will be a key collaborative part of the commercial team and will report directly to the Sr. Manager/Manager of Market Fundamentals and Analysis. Locations available are Kansas City, MO and Remote.
- Develop power market forecasts/basis/congestion models and perform market simulations in support of development siting, origination strategy and M&A activities.
- Leverage expertise in market structures based on specific region (East/West/Central) and apply concepts/analytics to support the development of new product solutions.
- Engage with third-party consultants to review transmission congestion analysis and basis outlook in regional power market(s) and basis outlook for our projects.
- Review and incorporate relevant market policies, rules and other qualitative factors into asset optimization models.
- Perform sensitivity analysis on key market drivers and forecasts including demand expectations, gas prices, retirements, additions, outages and other trends impacting the energy space at a macro level.
- Prepare market assessments/analytics/reviews to departmental management and engage with internal/external business partners to determine trends and factors impacting the energy market and our projects in the development of a forward market view.
- Perform ad hoc analysis of wholesale electricity markets and asset dispatch and optimization as requested.
- Collaborate with other members of the team to optimize state of the art modeling tools and develop and automate forecasting models to improve efficiencies and effectiveness.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, economics, mathematics, statistics, or similar field
- A great attitude for learning new skills and an inquisitive mindset for continuous learning and improvement
- Minimum 5 years of experience in power markets analysis and economic modeling experience
- Creative and motivated self-starter with strong organizational and time-management skills
- Experience with mathematical optimization techniques and mathematical programming
- Must have excellent communication skills and work effectively in a team-based environment
- Familiarity with one or more production cost models: Dayzer, Plexos, Aurora, UPLAN, PROMOD, or other production cost modeling software
- Knowledge and understanding of production cost modeling and linear programming
- Knowledge of econometric/regression techniques
- Programming experience in R or Python and SQL
- Direct working experience for an RTO/ISO
- Previous experience in modeling renewables Solar/Wind/Storage etc.
- Previous experience in transmission planning or transmission operations
Compensation and Benefits
- Base, bonus and compensation commensurate with experience
- Vacation & Holidays: Generous paid time off plus 14.5 paid holidays
- Benefits: Health & dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, 401(k) match
- Awesome culture and opportunities for interaction across multiple departments with fun and exciting events and challenges
- Savion offers a culture that embraces a flex-time schedule so as to maximize both productivity and work-life balance