Savion, a Green Investment Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 11 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14 paid holidays per year.
Savion is seeking a suitable candidate to lead a team of high performing analysts within the Commercial Strategy & Renewable Origination group. This role will be responsible for activities and deliverables in two key areas. First, the development and maintenance of long-term, fundamental-based forecasts for energy, capacity, REC and ancillary service products, and provide transmission congestion analysis and basis outlook across regional power markets. Second, will be focused on leading the Market Structure function which includes developing a complete understanding of each market structure, capability of identifying and translating proposed changes potentially impacting the development and structure of commercial products and transactions to enable growth of the Savion’s portfolio. This candidate is expected to participate in the full cycle of Savion’s projects, helping to identify specific locations of high value to the development team for early siting decisions, provide guidance for financial analysis to the Finance team, while analyzing energy market trends and outlooks. This position will be a key part of the commercial team and will report directly to the CCO. Preference for this position to operate from our Kansas City office, but accommodations for remote work will be made.
- Develop power market forecasts and perform market simulations in support of development siting, origination strategy and M&A activities
- Lead the market structure function, provide strategic analysis and direction with the goal of developing renewable solution-based advice on products in support of Origination’s client engagement.
- Work with third-party consultants to oversee transmission congestion analysis and basis outlook in regional power markets and basis outlook for our projects
- Review and incorporate relevant market policies, rules and other qualitative factors into asset optimization models
- Guide sensitivity analysis on key market drivers and forecasts including demand expectations, gas prices, retirements, additions, outages and other trends impacting the energy space at a macro level
- Prepare and present market assessments and briefings to the senior management team and broader business explaining trends and factors impacting the energy market and our projects in the development of a forward market view.
- Oversee ad hoc analysis of wholesale electricity markets and asset dispatch and optimization as needed
- Work with other members of the team to develop and automate models forecasting energy, REC, and ancillary service prices
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in engineering, economics, mathematics, statistics, or similar field
- Minimum 5 years of experience in power markets analysis and economic modeling experience
- Experience with mathematical optimization techniques and mathematical programming
- Knowledge and understanding of production cost modeling and linear programming
- Familiarity with Aurora, PROMOD, or other production cost modeling software
- Knowledge of econometric/regression techniques
- Programming experience in R or Python and SQL
- Very motivated self-starter with strong organizational and time-management skills
- Must have excellent communication skills and work effectively in a team-based environment