Savion, a Shell Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 23 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14.5 paid holidays per year.
The data engineer, which is an emerging role in Savion’s data and analytics team, plays a pivotal role in operationalizing data and analytics initiatives for Savion’s business initiatives. The bulk of the data engineer’s work is building, managing and optimizing data pipelines.
The data engineer also needs to ensure compliance with data governance and data security requirements while creating, improving and operationalizing these integrated and reusable data pipelines. This enables faster data access, integrated data reuse and vastly improved time-to-solution for Savion’s data and analytics initiatives.
This new data engineer position at Savion is responsible for operationalizing data and analytics on behalf of the business and organizational outcomes. This role requires both creative and collaborative working within IT and across all business units. It involves promoting effective data management practices and improved organizational leverage of data and analytics. The data engineer also works with key business stakeholders, IT experts and subject-matter experts to plan and deliver optimal analytics and data science solutions.
- Gather and analyze business and customer requirements to identify and prioritize opportunities to improve efficiencies and processes through data integration.
- Use user and stakeholder feedback to guide the development of new products and data integration enhancements.
- Prepare and manage technical documentation and self-service resources on data integrations.
- Architecting, creating and maintaining data pipelines, including APIs and/or file-based integrations.
- Proactively monitor data integration performance and troubleshoot, resolve, and report issues to impacted teams and stakeholders.
- Participate in vendor and tool selection to meet business needs and support development team workflows.
- Promote the available data and analytics capabilities and expertise to business unit leaders
- Promote a collaborative team environment and work closely with colleagues and stakeholders to achieve goals.
Education and Experience
- At least 5 years or more of work experience in data management disciplines including data integration, modeling, optimization and data quality, and/or other areas directly relevant to data engineering responsibilities and tasks.
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree in computer science, statistics, applied mathematics, data management, information systems, information science or a related quantitative field is required.
- An advanced degree or certificate in computer science (MS), statistics, applied mathematics, information science (MIS), data management, information systems, information science (postgraduate diploma or related) or a related quantitative field is preferred.
- The ideal candidate will have a combination of IT skills, data governance skills and analytics skills with a technical or computer science degree.
- Strong experience with advanced analytics tools for Object-oriented/object function scripting using languages such as [R, Python, Matlab].
- Strong ability to design, build and manage data pipelines for data structures encompassing data transformation, data models, schemas, metadata and workload management. The ability to work with both IT and business in integrating analytics and data science output into business processes and workflows.
- Strong experience with SQL for relational databases.
- Strong experience in working with large, heterogeneous datasets in building and optimizing data pipelines, pipeline architectures and integrated datasets using traditional data integration technologies. These should include ETL/ELT, API design and access.
- Strong experience in working with and optimizing existing ETL processes and data integration and data preparation flows and helping to move them in production.
- Basic experience working with popular data discovery, analytics and BI software tools like PowerBI and others for semantic-layer-based data discovery.
- Strong understanding of popular open-source and commercial data science platforms such as Python, R, Alteryx, others is a strong plus but not required/compulsory.
- Adept with agile methodologies.
- Familiar with DevOps and DataOps principles to data pipelines for improving the communication, integration, reuse and automation of data flows between data managers and consumers across the organization.
Compensation and Benefits
- Base, bonus and compensation commensurate with experience
- Vacation & Holidays: Generous paid time off plus 14.5 paid holidays
- Benefits: Health & dental insurance, long-term disability and life insurance, 401(k) match
- Awesome culture and opportunities for interaction across multiple departments with fun and exciting events and challenges
- Savion offers a culture that embraces a flex-time schedule so as to maximize both productivity and work-life balance