Savion, a Green Investment Group portfolio company operating on a stand-alone basis, is one of the largest, most technologically advanced utility-scale solar and energy storage project development companies in the United States. With a growing portfolio of more than 11 GW, Savion’s diverse team provides comprehensive services at each phase of renewable energy project development, from conception through construction. As part of this full-service model, Savion manages all aspects of development for customers, partners, and project host communities. Savion is committed to helping decarbonize the energy grid by replacing electric power generation with renewable sources and delivering cost-competitive electricity to the marketplace.
Our workplace culture attracts competitive, smart, and fun people. We are committed to the health, fitness, and work-life balance of our employees. Our employees are highly motivated, technically proficient, team-oriented, and committed to renewable energy. We recognize our employees are our most valuable asset and offer highly competitive pay as well as exceptional above-market employee benefits. Balancing work and play is met with generous PTO allowances and 14 paid holidays per year.
Job Purpose Statement
A key role within the Savion – Engineering, Procurement and Construction team focusing on the engineering, technical specification and procurement of large-scale renewables projects, predominately solar and BESS.
Savion seeks a highly motivated Assistant Electrical Engineer with passion for renewable energy to join the EPC division of the Savion team. The Assistant Electrical Engineer will report to the Senior Director – Engineering whilst also working closely with multiple parts of the overall EPC division and indeed wider Savion business.
The position will have primary focus on both the preparation, review and active management and interrogation of all technical dimensions of projects. The individual will operate extensively across the EPC division of the Savion team whilst also providing critical liaison and support the wider business and externally as required.
- Assist the Senior Director / Senior Engineers in preparing and developing designs and specification documents of large-scale renewable projects
- Identify critical project technical risk and magnitude – proposing mitigatory actions and options
- Support and provide critical input and review of contract bidding and award
- Prepare technical documentation and specifications for project bids
- Communicate and coordinate across broad spectrum of internal project team – ensure consistency and currency of information
- Liaise with project development teams to drive and coordinate earlier engineering design and permitting efforts
- Participate in industry workshops and events to ensure awareness of latest engineering standards and potential innovators
- Provide support and input to Contract tender / bidding efforts and assessments
- Liaise and coordinate with internal team members, external suppliers, and contractors to endure delivery specifications are met
- Support and assist with interface management between internal and external parties including consultants and contractors
- Review and monitor contractors progress against schedule and ensure key project milestones are being achieved and reported
- Support and direct efforts to resolve a range of technical / specialist issues both during bid and execution phases.
- Actively identify and manage critical path issues and risks to obviate and minimize project impacts at all stages of project maturity
Skills, Knowledge and Experience
- 2+ Years of Engineering Experience preferably within Renewables sector
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Electrical Preferred)
- Knowledgeable of transmission and substation designs as applicable to solar and energy storage projects
- Familiarity with AutoCad 3D
- Strong proficiency with Microsoft Excel, and Microsoft Project or Primavera P6.
- Knowledge of ETAP or similar power analysis software
- Familiarity with photovoltaic solar and energy storage components and technical standards.
- Ability to prepare conceptual solar layouts
- Excellent organizational skills demonstrated by clear and effective project plans and executive level reporting that ensure timely action and decision making in time-pressured scenarios.
- Have knowledge of latest technology for utility scale solar and energy storage projects
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Working knowledge of OSHA – qualification preferred
- Tenacity, persistence and determination to succeed
- Excellent personal organization and time management skills
- Experience of writing technical specifications.
- Ability to communicate effectively with Savion management and with contractors
- Ability to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
Planning and Organization
- Support and direct the resolution of a range of technical/specialist issues on projects
- Successfully manage the expectations of the Senior Engineering Director / Senior Engineers with regards to project delivery
- Advise the Senior Engineering Director / Senior Engineers on the impact of technical/specialist risks and issues and the viability of solutions recommended
- Carefully consider and balance technical requirements with commercial needs and provide recommendations, considering the relevant risks
- Ensure that all recommendations are documented, and sufficient due diligence exists to support decisions (whether internal or external diligence)
- Defend and stand by recommendations but also recognize when alternative solutions may be preferable
- Present decisions and recommendations to the EPC Managers in a structured and robust manner
- At short notice, act upon and deliver ad-hoc efforts and projects without losing focus on major ongoing projects
- The job holder will need to remain focused on the key deliverables for each project whilst being adaptable to work within a flexible matrix operation, this may require working on several projects simultaneously
Minimum Criterion (Mandatory)
- Degree qualification in relevant Engineering discipline (Electrical Preferred)
- Relevant Project Engineering / Construction experience
- IT literate with the ability to operate MS office systems, some familiarity with AutoCad 3D, and other IT based Engineering software